Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thing 12 / Social Media Websites

Wow, I can see how these sites can be addictive. It's easy to find something you're interested in quickly. From the ridiculous to the relevant, they could go either way on the productivity scale. Used as a tool to get current info they work but they can definitely turn into a time suck.

I see the digg icon all the time at blogs and miscellaneous websites but have never joined. Occasionally I will read a really interesting article and think, hey I should digg this. So this gives me a chance to join! I used digg to recognize a post at one of my favorite blogs (Smart Bitches Trashy Books!) and found this article about ebooks at the digg homepage. The article on Slate.com about Digg was really interesting. It's intimidating that just 100 users submit Digg's most viewed content. Mixx seems like an interesting alternative to Digg, this article about it certainly presented a good case. Just signed up for netvibes as well, so far I like seeing all of my different social media accounts in one place. But it's a little cluttered and not all of the add ons are completely functional.

One thing I like about these social media websites is how customizable they are. You can contribute a lot or a little. I think an element that is key for these sites to grow and stay relevant is their interaction with other types of media. Blogs + twitter + iphone apps = more visibility and access. I think they could be used in libraries to keep up on current news and technology. It always helps if you know what patrons are talking about ;)

No comments: