Monday, May 18, 2009

Thing 20, Gaming!

At MCPL we currently circulate Computer Games. We have copies of The Sims, Fifa Soccer, and tons of Harry Potter games. Games provide entertainment just like DVDs and Music, and some argue that games are more educational then those types of media. Video games have basically replaced table top games in popular culture. And I think the demand for video games is only going to increase. I don't see games or other social activities taking the place of literacy and learning. Like Brian Mayer's article said, libraries (especially public libraries like ours) have always housed and hosted entertainment options. Games are just another way for libraries to reach a younger generation.

I could see us adding more CD Roms or xbox, Wii, Playstation games. It would be expensive to purchase games in all of these different formats so it might be a tricky decision to decide what to buy. While I don't think adding Games in some capacity is necessary to the future of the library, I think they could definitely be a beneficial addition. Young people are using the internet more and more for research and visiting libraries less. I don't necessarily think games will the saving grace of libraries, but they certainly couldn't hurt.

An even better idea that than circulating more games I think would be to buy a Library game console, like a Wii, and some games. Patron could check out games and play them here in the library, under library supervision. We could also do teen programming with games like Rock Band or Wii bowling competitions. There are tons of options and opportunities. I think it would be a great type of after school activity for young adults. When I visited Boone County Public Library in Kentucky, I toured their Teen area which featured a flat screen tv and video game consule, along with games like guitar hero. It seemed to work really well for them, but would require some supervision or security.

No comments: